Who am I?
Well, I’m Marcus, obviously. Unless I’m really someone else and I’m using the name Marcus as a pseudonym. But to be honest, if I was going to choose a name I wouldn’t choose Marcus. I would choose James. That’s a much nicer name in my opinion. Anyway…
What’s my story?
I’ve been trying to make money online in some form or another since 2008, apart from a period between 2012 and 2014 where I gave up for a while.
Some of the things I’ve tried over the years:
- Online gambling – don’t do this. Seriously, don’t.
- Promoting Amazon products through Google Adwords – I had high hopes for this but it didn’t work for me.
- PotPieGirl’s One Week Marketing – I enjoyed this way of doing things, but I didn’t get much success from it.
- Writing EzineArticles to promote ClickBank products – back when I did this, EzineArticles’s minimum word length was only 250 and it was easy to rank on page 1 of Google with such short articles. You could also link to affiliate links if you used a domain name and redirected it to the affiliate URL. For a while, I would crank out loads of articles doing this, and I did make some money.
- Dan Brock’s Profitzon (now called Deadbeat Super Affiliate) – this shows you how to set up mini niche sites to promote Amazon products. I did make some money doing this, but not enough.
- Writing articles for Textbroker – this is actually not a bad way to make money, as long as you are a good writer who can write multiple articles in a day.
- Wealthy Affiliate – I first joined briefly in 2009 but didn’t see much success, so I left a few months later. I finally rejoined in January 2015, and thing are going a lot better the 2nd time round. This is partly because Wealthy Affiliate is a lot better than it used to be, but also because I am a lot better. I’ve learned a lot from the things I’ve done wrong over the years. More on that in a minute…
What have I learned along the way?
- Don’t spread yourself too thinly – my big mistake was I tried too many things in too short a time. For example, after I did the Profitzon course, I set up loads of different niche websites but never spent much time on each one. Instead, it’s much better to dedicate more time to fewer things.
- Self-discipline is important – in the early years, I really struggled with self-discipline. I would often get distracted by YouTube videos and other online entertainment when I should have been working on my projects. I believe this is one of the biggest hurdles for anyone to overcome if they work online at home alone.
- Plan and stay focused – these days I keep track of all my projects and tasks in a special organiser called Efficient PIM. Then, every Friday, I plan out the following week in my calendar.
- Pace yourself – don’t work 15 hours per day, 7 days per week. The chances of you getting distracted are very high. But if you do manage to stay focused for all that time, you’re going to burn out eventually and/or get ill more often. I work 7 hours per day in 1-hour chunks with breaks in between, and I take weekends off.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is – don’t believe everything you read online about making money. In fact, the more excited you get about a money making idea, the more cautious you should be. It doesn’t mean all the exciting ways to make money are scams, it just means you need to be careful.
- The path to success is paved with failures – if you fail, you get back up and try again, then you fail again, and you get back up and keep trying. As long as you learn from your little failures, they can actually be positive experiences that help you succeed later. In fact, failing is probably a necessary part of success. You need to try a bunch of things and mess them up to learn those lessons.
Where am I at now?
I am still on my quest to make lots of money online. I do earn money each month (from several different sources), but I am continually striving to improve things and make even more money. I am currently a member of Wealthy Affiliate and have had some success from the things I have learned there, but as with anything in life, there is always room for improvement.
Why did I create this website?
The purpose of this website is to document my ongoing journey with making money online and to help others. If you are a total beginner and want to get started with making money online, I can help you – check out my START HERE page.
What can you expect from me?
You will see me try out various money making opportunities and write about them in my product reviews. I will also share any wisdom I have picked up along the way, and give various tips and advice.
I wish myself the very best of success, and you too.